- Museum number
- Object: The Mother of God Vladimirskaya
Icon; painted; the Virgin is represented half-length with the Christ child seated on her right arm and tenderly embracing her neck with both hands.
Inscriptions: in Greek in black paint: flanking the Virgin's head: MP ΘY (Mother of God); to Christ's left: ΙC ΧC (Jesus Christ), on the cross arm of Christ's nimbus: the letter T above the letter W.
Egg tempera, gesso on wood.
- Production date
Height: 31 centimetres
Thickness: 2.70 centimetres
Width: 27.50 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- See cat. no. 12 for the iconography and cat. nos 41 and 58 for other examples.
Cormack 2007, 129, no. 65
- Not on display
- Made from a single panel with ‘kovcheg’; two inserted battens on the reverse.
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- See 1998,0605.1 Most of the items catalogued under 1998,0605 were acquired by Sir Frank Roberts’ wife, Cella.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: IC 66 (Icon Collection number)