- Museum number
- Object: St Nicholas the Wonder-Worker
Icon; painted in egg tempera on wood; the bearded and nimbed bust of St Nicholas is dressed in a red bishop's robe with a dark blue 'omophorion' decorated with two crosses; Russian inscription on the back.
- Production date
Height: 22.70 centimetres
Thickness: 2 centimetres
Width: 17.80 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- For similar representations of the saint, see cat. nos 6, 22, 53, 64 and 65. This icon represents a simplified image commonly found in provincial northern Russian icon painting (Rybakov 2004).
Cormack 2007, 32–3, figs 18 and 127, no. 58
- Not on display
- Made from a single panel with ‘kovcheg’; one inserted batten on the reverse; areas of missing gesso along the edges.
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- See 1998,0605.1 Most of the items catalogued under 1998,0605 were acquired by Sir Frank Roberts’ wife, Cella.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: IC 58 (Icon Collection number)