- Museum number
- Object: Saints Ephrem Novotorzskij and Arkadij
Icon; painted; the full-length figures of St Ephrem (at left), who is blessing, and his disciple Arkadij (at right), who is praying, flank a church which contains their relics. Above them is an icon of the 'Mandylion' (Christ Made with no Hand).
Inscriptions: in Church Slavonic on the lower border: at left: ЕФРЕМ НО[ВОТОРЖСКИЙ] (Ephrem No[votorzskij]); at right: АРКАДИЙ УЧ[ЕНИК] (Arkadij Uch[enik]).
Egg tempera, gilding, gesso, pine (?) wood.
- Production date
Height: 13.50 centimetres
Thickness: 1.60 centimetres
Width: 10.70 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- This is a typical example of a 19th-century monastic ‘souvenir’ icon made for pilgrims; it probably comes from the Novotorzskij monastery, founded by St Ephrem in 1038. Ephrem, together with his two brothers Moses and George, arrived in Rus from Hungary in order to serve Boris, duke of Rostov. In 1015 George was assassinated together with the duke by the river Alta. Ephrem traveled to the river and discovered his brother’s decapitated head. He subsequently settled by the river Tvertsa where he established a monastery in honour of Boris and Gleb. The latter was the brother of Boris, who was also assassinated by their elder half-brother Sviatopolk in 1015. St Arkadij, who was born in the small town of Viazma, was a disciple of abbot Ephrem and spent his life in the Boris and Gleb Novotorzskij monastery assisting his master.
Cormack 2007, 121, no. 34
- Not on display
- Made from a single panel; both the paint and gilding on the edges and borders are worn and some of the letters of the inscriptions are missing.
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- See 1998,0605.1 Most of the items catalogued under 1998,0605 were acquired by Sir Frank Roberts’ wife, Cella.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: IC 34 (Icon Collection number)