- Museum number
Copper-alloy censer with six-sided body resting on three feet; the suspension unit constructed of three chains of twisted S-shaped links alternating with plain disks, all attached to a loop which is in turn affixed to a cross and a hook.
- Production date
Diameter: 79 millimetres
Height: 61 millimetres
Length: 475 millimetres (suspension unit)
- Curator's comments
In set with 1994,0610.1-21
Parallels: J. Strzygowski, Koptische Kunst (Vienna 1904) cat. 9116; J. Stephens Crawford, The Byzantine Shops at Sardis (Cambridge MA 1990) cat. M67.32:7482; D. Bénazeth, Catalogue général du Musée copte du Caire: Objets en métal (Cairo 2001) cat. 272 (inv. 5711).
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- From the collection of George Marcopoli. The Marcopoli family settled as traders in Aleppo, Syria, in the 16th century and were for many generations thereafter the hereditary consuls of Venice in Aleppo. The present group of objects was acquired by George Marcopoli at the end of the 19th century. On the outbreak of war in 1912 between Italy and the Ottoman Empire all Italian nationals were expelled from Syria: since then the collection has been in Europe.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number