- Museum number
Biscuit-tin; base metal; printed with stylised floral design in pink, white, blue, red, green, grey, black and gold, on the lid. The sides with geometric motifs in white, black and gold.
- Production date
Height: 58 millimetres
Length: 200 millimetres
Width: 120 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- Text from J. Rudoe, 'Decorative Arts 1850-1950', revised ed. 1994, no. 398:
Made by Bahlsens after a design by E.J. Margold. As early as the 1890's Bahlsen's biscuit factory had begun to employ a range of artists for the design and packaging and publicity material; this was exceptional as it preceded by several years the founding in 1907 of the Deutsche Werkbund, which encouraged such policies. By 1913, 15 artists has supplied designs for the firm, among them Behrens, Carl Otto Czeschka, Julius Diez, the sculpors Ludwig Vierthaer and Georg Herting, and the Hanover architect K. Siebrecht who designed Bahlsen's new factory buildings in 1911-13. E. J. Margold worked for Bahlsen from 1914 to 1916 or 1917.
Bahlsen's new designs for ornamental giftware packaging were shown at the exhibition held by the Deutsche Werkbund in Cologne in 1914. they included ceramic boxes by Margold but not his biscuit tins. The archive of the Bahlsen museum holds designs for many tins but does not include this one. For a biscuit tin with the same design as this one, illustrated in colour, see R. Ulmer, 'Museum der Künstlerkolonie , Darmstadt. Katalog', Darmstadt n.d. 1990, cat.no.221.
Compare with 'Decorative Arts 1850-1950', Rudoe 1991, Cat. 156. (1982,12-3.7)
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number