- Museum number
Glass decanter; free-blown, both decanter and stopper in the form of a tyre, the decanter with applied lion-head prunts around the outer edge and on each side, where they are placed within a band of acid etched floral decoration. The interior of the 'tyre' is wheel-engraved to give an all-over matt surface. the neck has an applied rigaree. Neck stopper and foot have simple bands of wheel-engraved decoration.
- Production date
- 1878 (circa)
Height: 334 millimetres (with top)
Height: 251 millimetres (without top)
- Curator's comments
- Text from J. Rudoe, 'Decorative Arts 1850-1950', revised ed. 1994, no. 424:
This decanter is closely related to a ewer shown by Richardson at the Paris Exhibition of 1878 and illustrated in album made by the factory of all the exhibition pieces prior to their departure to Paris (the album is owned by Broadfield House Glass Museum). The Exhibition ewer was more elaborate, but was also tyre-shaped and had similar applied lion-head prunts and acid-etched floral decoration. However, no example of the ewer is known; indeed, this decanter is the first of its kind to have come to light.
The 1878 Exhibition was the first time that the firm had taken part in an international exhibition since 1851, after which they had gone bankrupt, but they re-established themselves by 1853 and continued to introduce new styles and techniques, one of which was acid-etching, pioneered by Richardson's in the 1850s. This decanter, with its combination of acid-etched and applied decoration, and the use of wheel-engraving on the convex surface of the tyre, is a virtuoso piece of glassmaking.
The firm of Richardson was run initially by the three Richardson brothers, William Haden, Benjamin and Jonathan; it was known as B.Richardson from 1853 to 1864 and then traded under various partnerships until 1883, when it became H.G.Richardson. The firm was taken over by Thomas Webb in 1930.
- On display (G47/dc10)
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number