- Museum number
Glass two-handled convex jar with handles and lid, reused as cinerary urn, blue.
Height: 30 centimetres (approx., without lid)
- Curator's comments
- Found inside lead canister 1993,0102.18, and originally full of burnt bone.
Object label: Glass jar, 1st century AD, Warwick Square, London
Inside the lead canister (right) was a glass jar full of burnt bones. Romans often re-used glass jars, originally made for storing liquids and foodstuffs, as cremation vessels, but this jar seems too fragile and was therefore probably purpose-made. The lead canister protected the glass and bones.
- On display (G49/dc4)
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Deposited on loan 1882. See Deposit Register for details.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number