- Museum number
- Series: The Armada Service
Dish; parcel-gilt; reeded rim; engraved with arms of Sir Christopher Harris of Radford near Plymouth, placed on upper rim and marks directly below on lower rim; engraved with complex Harris arms; re-gilded rim.
- Production date
Diameter: 398 millimetres
Weight: 1225.50 grammes
- Curator's comments
- See "The 'Armada Service': A Set of Late Tudor Dining Silver" - Dora Thornton (Antiquaries Journal 1996 Vol 76) JH [10/99]
Found with 1992,0614.1-26
Displayed in BM exhibition, A New World, Summer 2007
See T.Schroder, English Silver before the Civil War, the David Little collection, London 2015, pp.59-60 and cat.16 for two dishes which are almost certainly from this set and which are referred back to Thornton and Cowell article in 1996.
These dishes sold Christies, London, The David Little Collection of Early English Silver, 3 December 2019, lot 121 (see object file).
- On display (G46/dc7)
- Exhibition history
1994 15 Feb-15 May, Birmingham, Museum & Art Gallery, The Armada Service
1993-1994 16 Oct-6 Feb, Bristol, City Museum & Art Gallery, The Armada Service
1993 27 May-2 Oct, Plymouth, City Museum & Art Gallery, The Armada Service
- Repair on underside of rim at 4 o'clock; tear in rim at 2 o'clock.
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Found in a potato store 1827.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number