- Museum number
- Object: The Fiery Ascent of the Prophet Elijah
Icon; painted in egg tempera and gold on wood; in the upper register Elijah ascends to heaven in his chariot which is guided by the Archangel Gabriel. At top left, among clouds, is God Sabaoth who blesses whilst holding an orb. In the lower left register is Elijah seated in a rocky landscape being fed by a raven. In the lower centre, Elijah is woken by an angel and, next to him, Elijah and his disciple Elisha cross the river Jordan. At far right, Elisha receives Elijah's mantle as the latter rises in his chariot. Inscriptions in Church Slavonic.
- Production date
Height: 53.80 centimetres
Thickness: 2.50 centimetres
Width: 45 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- See the comments for cat. no. 47.
Cormack 2007, 115, no. 12
- Not on display
- Made from two panels originally joined on the back by two missing battens; there are cracks in the wood along the panel joint and dark over-painting on the borders.
- Associated events
- Associated Event: Ascension of Elijah
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: IC 12 (Icon Collection number)