- Museum number
Plastic clay tile, solid red body with white inlay covered in a yellow glaze; the design features addorsed lions. On reverse, random holes but no maker's mark.
- Production date
Length: 15 centimetres
Width: 15 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- The design of addorsed lions is copied from the Westmintser Abbey Chapter House and appears in Minton's 'First encaustic tile pattern book', 1840-45, no.13. These tiles were probably removed from the Temple Church after bombing in the Second World War.
The Stoke City Museum holds an unglazed example of this design. For other tiles which are probably from Temple Church, see 1980,0307.52.b-c and 1980,0307.28. See also Atterbury and Wainwright 1994, p. 144, pl. 261.
- On display (G47/dc10)
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number