- Museum number
Four earthenware sandwich tiles, deep plastic clay body, red between buff, with inlaid decoration in red, white, brown and blue, all covered with a clear glaze. The design features a repeat pattern of white fleurs-de-lys and rosettes within lozenges; the centre of the rosettes has a very fine inlay motif of a square and cross within a circle. Maker's mark on reverse.
- Production date
Length: 15 centimetres
Width: 15 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- These tiles are variants of those designed by Pugin and used at St. Mary's College, New Oscott, Birmingham. See Stoke 1984, no. 20 for a March 1857 tile in similar colours which is unglazed.
According to Chris Blanchett, a majolica version of this tile exists.
- Not on display
- Exhibition history
1999 1 Mar-6 Jun, France, Paris, Musee d’Orsay, Gothic Revival
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number