- Museum number
Tortoise-shell comb with a bloomed and chased two-colour gold mount, set with cabochon-cut rubies in the form of a spray of leaves and flowers surmounted by a bird mounted on a trembler spring. The reverse is incised. In the original leather case, labelled on the silk lining of the lid.
- Production date
- 1840 (circa)
Width: 8.90 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- Text from catalogue of the Hull Grundy Gift (Gere et al 1984) no. 644 :
The firm remained at this address from 1833 to 1854, when it was renamed Abud & Collingwood. (Charlotte Gere).
See also C. Gere & J. Rudoe, 'Jewellery in the Age of Queen Victoria: A Mirror to the World', London, British Museum, 2010, fig. 114 p.159. Caption: Leaves and flowers with a dove on a trembler spring, the tortoiseshell comb marked PEIRCE DALTON (comb-manufacturers, St Martin’s Court, 1834–40), the original retailer’s display case labelled “Kitching & Abud, Jewellers to the Queen, 46, Conduit Street” (at theses premises 1833–54).’
Joseph Kitching set up in business on his own account in Diver Street in 1817. The partnership of Kitching & Abud dates from 1824, at 14, Dover Street; the move to Conduit Street took place in 1830. Kitching & Abud were used for many royal commissions for official presents and presentation pieces including Orders, acting as back-up to Garrard’s, who were Crown Jewellers from 1844. In 1853 the firm became Abud & Collingwood, succeeded by Collingwood & Co. from 1870. (Charlotte Gere)
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Antique Art Galleries Ltd, 16c Grafton Street, London W1. Original invoice for £60 to Anne Hull Grundy dated 16.4.1953, described as 'Hair comb, gold leaves with bird, studded rubies, Empire period, probably English'.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: HG.142 (masterlist number)