- Museum number
Gold cravat-pin with the head in the form of an enamelled miniature of a pug dog, set in gold and inscribed on the reverse.
- Production date
- 1882 (circa)
Diameter: 2.50 centimetres
Length: 8.40 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- Text from catalogue of the Hull Grundy Gift (Gere et al 1984) no 799:
William Bishop Ford, painter of enamel miniatures (1832-1922), was a pupil of the miniaturist William Essex, whom he assisted at the studio at 3 Osnaburgh Street, Regent's Park in the 1850s and 1860's. He exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1854 for over forty years. See Foskett 1972, p. 275. (Charlotte Gere).
See also C. Johns, 'Dogs. History, Myth, Art', British Museum 2008, pp. 176-7.
See also C. Gere & J. Rudoe, 'Jewellery in the Age of Queen Victoria: A Mirror to the World', London, British Museum, 2010, fig. 93L, p.134. Caption: ‘Group of twelve stick-pins, mainly sporting and commemorative. European, 1830–1900.
- Not on display
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number