- Museum number
Finger-ring in ivory with the bezel inset with a carved ivory sailing ship against a blue background' under glass and with a gold rim.
- Production date
Height: 3.40 centimetres (bezel)
- Curator's comments
- Text from catalogue of the Hull Grundy Gift (Gere et al 1984) no 193:
Signed examples of miniature works exist in the Bullock collection, which was bequeathed to the Bristol Museum in 1918, and in the Holborne of Menstrie Museum in Bath (see Stanton 1935).
Close in style to the work of G. Stephany and J. Dresch. A rare survival of a ring with an ivory hoop. Examples of such virtuoso ivory-turning are known to have existed at this date, but their great fragility has ensured that few survive.(Charlotte Gere).
Text from Ward, Cherry et al, 'The Ring from Antiquity to the Twentieth Century,' London 1981, pl.266.
This example of miniature ivory carving relates stylistically to a group of similar subjects signed by the partnership of G. Stephany and J. Dresch, who worked first at Bath, then in London and exhibited at the Royal Academy in the late eighteenth century. The names of many of the craftsmen who made these miniature carvings suggest an origin in Germany or Austria, both countries with a long tradition of fine ivory work. This ring has an ivory hoop, and the bezel is bordered with gold and ornamented with a miniature ivory carving of a fully rigged ship at sea.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: HG.1071 (masterlist number)