- Museum number
GOLD HUNTER-CASED LEVER WATCH WITH STOP MECHANISM.
Rack lever escapement; stop action on lever.
Enamel dial; subs. seconds.
Gold spade hands.Seconds hand blued steel.
Gold case.HM London 1810. 18carat
- Production date
- 1810 (case hallmarked)
Diameter: 55.70 millimetres (case)
Diameter: 45.60 millimetres (dial)
Diameter: 46 millimetres (movement)
Thickness: 21.80 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- Comment from Richard Good, Catalogue of Watches in the British Museum. Vol. V (Unpublished manuscript)
Made by George Jamieson (1)
Gold hunter-cased, rack lever stop watch.
Signature: Signed on the barrel bridge 'JAMIESON Charing Cross 4207'.
Case: 18 carat gold consular hunter case with a London hallmark for 1810 and the case-maker's mark IR.(2) A push-piece in the pendant releases the front cover.
Dial & Hands: Flat dial with a subsidiary seconds dial. Gold spade hour and minute hands, blued-steel seconds hand with a long tail. The minute hand has been repaired.
Dust-cap: stamped RS on the inside.(3)
Ebauche Marks: an 'O' punched inside the front plate.
Frame: Full plate layout, the back plate supported by four turned pillars. A typical Liverpool style balance cock, inscribed 'Patent' in a scroll.
Fusee, Barrel and Mainspring:
Fusee: six-turn fusee; with Harrison's maintaining power with a brass maintaining ratchet wheel.
Barrel: internal diameter 16.5 mm, height 4.9 mm.
Mainspring: height 4.6 mm, thickness 0.21 mm.
Barrel Arbor: diameter 4.9 mm, not snailed.
Train: A gilded train, with a solid centre wheel, the third and fourth wheels with four crossings.
Jewelling: Jewelled bearings from the third wheel onwards. 'Liverpool window' jewels in the back plate. There is a ruby endstone in a wedge in the potence and a diamond endstone in the balance cock.
Escapement: An acute-angle layout rack lever escapement with two-way slides. The enclosed pallet stones have flat acting faces. The brass escape wheel has three crossings.
An equal impulse escapement
No of teeth embraced 32.
Balance & Spring: A flat-rim, three-arm polished steel balance, diameter 20.5 mm, thickness 0.5 mm. A flat spiral blued-steel spring with seven turns, oversprung with a steel stud fixed to the back plate.
Means of Regulation: An index on the balance cock, registering against a divided scale engraved 'S' and 'F'.
Train Counts and Beat Rate:
Great wheel 60 (fuse)
Centre wheel 64 pinion 12
Third wheel 60 pinion 8
Fourth wheel 56 pinion 8
Escape wheel 15 pinion 7
Rack 13 teeth, balance pinion 6 leaves.
Beat rate 14,400
Motion work: cannon pinion 12, minute wheel 48
minute pinion 14, hour wheel 42
Stop-Mechanism: The stop lever causes a wire detent to act on the pallet frame.
Winding Mechanism: Key wound.
Case: diameter 55.8 mm, height 21.4 mm.
Movement: diameter 46.0 mm, height 17.3 mm, pillar height 4.9 mm.
Provenance: Bequeathed by F.R.S. Rogers Esq. in 1972.
(1) Although the movement was clearly made in Liverpool, the signature is likely to be that of George Jamieson, of 33 Charing Cross, London who later moved to High Street, Portsmouth.
(2) Probably the mark of James Richards & Son. Their various punch marks were registered at the Goldsmiths' Hall between 1762 and 1822, see Grimwade, 1976, p.307 and Priestley, 1994, p.118. In 1810 his address was Bridgewater Square, London. See also Paul E. Hackermack, James McCabe, 'Antiquarian Horology', Vol. X (Summer 1977) p.310.
(3) Possibly Robert Smith, watch-cap maker of 11, Bartholomew Square, St. Lukes, London.
- Not on display
- Latest: 2 (2017)
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number