- Museum number
- Object: The Rudge Cup replica
Electrotype (uncoloured) of the Rudge Cup.
Diameter: 90 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- This is an electrotype copy of a small bronze bowl found in 1725 in a well on the site of a Roman villa. The bowl was probably made as a souvenir. It shows a schematized drawing of Hadrian's Wall originally picked out in coloured enamels.
The Wall, built by Emperor Hadrian (reigned AD 117-138), was a continuous defensive barrier that guarded the north-western frontier of the province from barbarian invaders. It extended from coast to coast, running for 118 kilometres (73 miles) from Segedunum (Wallsend) on the River Tyne in the east, to Bowness on the Solway Firth in the west.
Above the drawing are the names of five forts at the western end of the Wall: MAIS (Bowness-on-Solway), ABALLAVA (Burgh-by-Sands), VXELODUM (Stanwix), CAMBOGLANS (Castlesteads), BANNA (Birdoswald).
- On display (G49/dc9)
- Exhibition history
1993 18 Jun-26 Sep, France, Quimper, Abbaye de Daoloas, Rome face aux Barbes
- Acquisition notes
- Original discovered in or after 1725, now in Alnwick Castle and the property of the Duke of Northumberland
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: CRM.497