- Museum number
- Object: The Mother of God Feodorovskaya
Icon; painted; the Virgin is shown half-length, facing left, holding the Christ child with her right hand. Her head is slightly inclined towards the Child, who embraces her with both hands. The Virgin Mary wears a dark reddish-brown 'maphorion' over a green 'chiton'. There are Bethlehem stars on the 'maphorion' on her head and shoulders. Christ is portrayed with a bare left leg as a sign of his coming agony.
Inscriptions: in Greek besides the Virgin's halo: MP ΘV (Mother of God); to the left of Christ's halo: ΙC ΧC (Jesus Christ); in part of Christ's halo: O W[N] (He Who Is).
Egg tempera, gesso on wood.
- Production date
Height: 22.60 centimetres
Thickness: 2.50 centimetres
Width: 17.50 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- This iconographic type was glorified in Russian history with the name ‘The Mother of God Feodorovskaya’. Icons of this type were especially popular around 1913 – the date of the 300 year anniversary of the foundation of the Romanov dynasty. For the iconography and the history of the icon see cat. no. 24.
Cormack 2007, 114, no. 6
- Not on display
- Made from a single panel with ‘kovcheg’; one inserted batten on the reverse; there are later insertions of gesso with paint in the centre of the upper border and along the lower border.
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Given in memory of Mr L.A. Angus-Butterworths' father who acquired it in Russia in 1913.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: IC 6 (Icon Collection number)