- Museum number
SILVER AND SHAGREEN PAIR-CASED CYLINDER COACH WATCH WITH QUARTER REPEAT AND ALARM [CONVERTED FROM VERGE].
Circular gilt-brass plates with four tapered pillars. Gilt-brass barrel with ratchet and click set-up mounted under the front-plate.
Fusee with chain and standard stop-work. Four wheel going train now terminating with a cylinder escapement converted from the original verge. Brass 3-arm balance with spiral balance spring. Geared regulation, the silver index disc engraved Avance - Retarde. Pierced and engraved foliate balance bridge with a polished steel coqueret.
Alarm train driven by a fixed gilt-brass barrel with geared stop-work mounted under the dial.
Quarter repeat mechanism operated by a pull-cord.
Both alarm and repeat trains have adjustable depth fly pinions to regulate the speed of striking. Each with a turning bush with a squared stud which carries a pointer indicating against a scale engraved on the back-plate. :
DIAL & HANDS
White enamel dial screwed to the recessed front-plate. Outer circle for minutes 5-60 surrounding a circle 1-31 for the date. Roman hours I-XII around a circle 1-12 for alarm setting. Pierced gilt-metal hour and minute hands, blued-steel calendar and alarm setting hands. The alarm is set using a key on a squared arbor at III-IIII.
Silver and shagreen pair-cases, the silver inner case with a pierced and engraved band. The back is centred with an engraved decoration and also has an engraved monogram. Silver pendant with loose ring and swivel joint. Inside, the bell is screwed to a squared boss.
Shagreen covered brass/copper outer case with silver rims, hinge and surrounds to the pierced roundels around the band and bezel. In the middle of the back is an applied silver panel pierced and engraved with a foliate design.
On the end of the repeat pull-cord is a split-ring which carries a silver and turquoise button
- Production date
Diameter: 121 millimetres (outer case)
- Curator's comments
- It seems unlikely that this watch has any connection with the firm of Lepine, founded by Jean Antoine Lepine who became a Master in Paris in 1762. The characteristics suggest that it may have its origins in South Germany in the second half of the Eighteenth Century.
- Not on display
- Latest: 3 (Jul 2018)
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Previous owner/ex-collection number: CAI.1497 (Ilbert Collection)
Previous owner/ex-collection number: F110 (Ilbert Ledger)