- Museum number
Resilient lever escapement.
Gold hunting case; hallmark.
- Production date
- 1870 (case)
- Curator's comments
- Comment from Richard Good, Catalogue of Watches in the British Museum. Vol. V (Unpublished manuscript)
Made by J. F. Cole & Sons.(1)
Gold cased watch with Cole's resilient escapement.(2)
Signature: On the back plate 'J. F. COLE & SONS, LONDON. No 3939 RESILIENT'.
Case: An 18ct gold hunter case hallmarked London 1870 and with the casemaker's mark RR in cameo.(3) The pendant is also hallmarked and has the pendant maker's mark possibly RB in cameo.(4) The bow is punched with the number 18(?).
Dial & Hands: Flat dial with Roman numerals and a sunk subsidiary seconds dial. The dial was originally signed 'R W STREETER LONDON' below XII. The inscription has subsequently been erased and glazed over, so that now it is only just visible. The inscription 'Streeter London' is fired into the counter-enamel in red. There is also an un-deciphered inscription on the back of the seconds dial. Blued-steel spade pattern hour and minute hands, the seconds hand missing.
Dial-plate: None intended, the dial is pinned directly to the front plate.
Dust-cap: None intended.
Ebauche Marks: 14 x 0
Frame: 3/4 plate layout, the back plate supported by three turned pillars and secured by screws. Acombined cock for the escape wheel and pallets. A separate bridge on the front plate for the fourth and escape wheel arbors. The balance cock is plain.
Barrel and Mainspring:
Barrel: going barrel originally with Geneva stopwork, internal diameter 12.3 mm, height 2.0 mm.
Mainspring: height 2.0 mm, thickness 0.21 mm.
Barrel Arbor: diameter 5.6 mm, not snailed.
Train: All the wheels gilded, the centre, third and fourth wheels with five crossings.
Jewelling: Jewelled bearings from the third wheel onwards, the jewels bombé. Ruby endstones throughout the escapement except for a diamond in the balance cock. The third and fourth jewels in the front plate are rubbed in, the others are all in screwed settings.
Escapement: Cole's resilient escapement. A right-angle layout with a single roller and a D-shaped impulse pin. The enclosed pallet stones have convex impulse and locking faces. The brass escape wheel has three crossings. There is considerable wear.
A mixed escapement.
No. of teeth embraced 32.
Balance & Spring: A split bimetallic balance with gold compensation and quarter screws. Balance diameter 16.7 mm thickness 1.3 mm. Blued-steel flat spiral spring with 18 1/2 turns and a terminal curve attached to a rectangular steel collet on the balance staff and a polished steel stud screwed to the balance cock table. The rear balance pivot is broken.
Means of Regulation: Since the balance is free sprung, there is no index. The quarter screws are adjusted to regulate the watch.
Train Counts and Beat Rate:
Great wheel 74 (barrel)
Centre wheel 64 pinion 10
Third wheel 60 pinion 8
Fourth wheel 63 pinion 8
Escape wheel 15 pinion 7
Beat rate: 16,200
Motion work: cannon pinion 10
minute wheel 30, minute pinion 10
hour wheel 40
Winding System: Side-set, rocking bar keyless work with bevel wheels connecting the stem to the winding wheel. A screw fixes the button to the stem, not the more usual nut that is to be found in English watches of this period.
Case: diameter 50.6 mm, height 13.7 mm.
Movement: diameter 43.7 mm, height 10.3 mm, pillar height 3.1 mm.
Provenance: Formerly in the Ilbert Collection. Ilbert purchased this from Malcolm Gardner 11/4/1932.
(1) J. F. Cole and Sons are given in Britten 1982 as being in business from 1871-5. J. F. Cole died in January 1880. For Cole's obituary see HJ, Vol. XXII (February 1880), p.84. He was born in 1798.
(2) The first watch with Coles resilient escapement is likely to be his watch numbered 1830, this number being, in all probability, the date of manufacture and also the date when Cole invented this escapement.
(3) The mark of Robert Rowlands of 35, Meredith St., Clerkenwell, registered as a watchcase maker and dial maker by c.1835 and by 1852 as a watch casemaker (see Culme p.396).
(4) If this mark is RB then this pendant maker is Robert Bellows of 9, Whiskin St., Clerkenwell,in business from c. 1836 and whose mark was registered 10/10/1857 (see Culme p.39 and 247).
- Not on display
- Latest: 2 (2017)
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Previous owner/ex-collection number: CAI.1194 (Ilbert Collection)
Previous owner/ex-collection number: M13 (Ilbert Ledger)