- Museum number
Horizontal table clock; spring-driven movement; going-train with fusee; verge escapement with balance fitted with later balance spring and regulation; striking-train with standing barrel; count-wheel for hours only recessed into back-plate; bell positioned between the plates; gilded brass dial with chapters I-XII and 13-24, mounted on steel dial plate; square gilded brass case with two pierced roundels to allow sound of bell to escape.
- Production date
Length: 4.75 inches (square)
- Curator's comments
- The following text is the entry for this object from the unpublished catalogue of pre-pendulum clocks by John Leopold, former Assistant Keeper of Horology at the Museum. This information is unedited and should be used accordingly.
SQUARE HORIZONTAL TABLE CLOCK, BY ANDREAS FRECH, BRUNSWICK, 1624.
Ilbert No. 113 K: ex Finaille(?), prob. late '20s.
Baillie 2 (1947) 114 (does not mention Ilbert).
Cat.Ilbert (1958) no.255.
The backplate engraved with a ribbon, on which: "ANDREAS FRECH + BRVNSWIG" and with the date 1624.
Brass, gilded on the outside and on the part of the band visible when the base is removed. The band was built up out of four sheets, dove tailed and brazed at the corners. At top and bottom the band was riveted to moulded square rings; these rings were each cast as a single piece.
The case is undecorated except for two ornamental sound openings.
The base consists of a brass plate with four riveted bun feet, entirely gilded. The plate was built up out of two pieces; at the join the two parts were champhered over a width of ca.1 cm and brazed together. There are two winding holes, lightly marked G (=Gehwerk or Going) and S (=Schlagwerk or Striking) under the gilding (the outside of the base appears to have been re gilded). The base is attached to the band by two lugs one one side and a steel spring catch at the other.
The dial is a flat brass plate, built up out of two pieces, each chamfered over about 5 mm and brazed together. The plate is gilded on the outside only. It is engraved with the chapterring I XII hours with simple half hour marks; within this is a ring marking the quarter hours, and inside this a further ring marked 13 24. Around these rings are twelve touchknobs (all of equal size); centre and spandrels are engraved with strapwork.
At about 1:30 there is a hole for releasing the striking at will.
The brass dial is mounted on an iron sink with four iron dialfeet which secure it to the movement. The brass and the steel plate are now joined by four screws at the corners (one now broken), but holes in the iron plate show that originally the two were riveted by the touchknobs at III, VI, IX and XII. In addition there was a brass rivet near the centre of the dial.
The rather corroded steel hand is unconventional but may well be original.
Movement and dial slide into the case from the top and are secured by two screwed stops on the backplate; the band has four corresponding slots.
Plated movement made of brass except for the wheels, the striking levers, and the pillar nuts on the dial side. The second, contrate and scape wheels are of brass, as is the pinion of report for the dialwheel. All the steel train wheels have three crossings except the greatwheels, which are solid; the brass trainwheels have four crossings.
Four ornamentally turned pillars with nuts on both sides.
Of the movement only the outside of the backplate and the original parts of its brass furniture are gilded. These include: two ornamental fixed latches to secure the movement in the case (the one near the balance is a later restoration), the balance cock and the cock for the pinion of report of the count wheel (the end that carries the pivot has been repaired using a later watch cock). On the backplate all steel parts are blued.
Under the dial all parts are of steel, except the pinion of report for the dial wheel, and the hinged part of the nag's head with its spring, which are of brass.
16 ║ 60 54 50
── ║ ── ── ── 21 (x2)
12-hours ← 48 ║ 6 6 5
Barrel: brass wall, steel caps, pinned on both sides. Spring original and without blueing; both ends have full length hooks, the outer end of the spring hooking over a brass bar riveted to the wall, the inner end hooked into a slot in the arbor. Spring measures 0.4 x 18 mm, width regular.
Split fusee of brass; 7 1/4 turns, 23 rachet teeth; steel stop hook. Reversed fusee. The fusee has been roughly re cut for chain; in this process the upper end of the fusee was damaged and repaired by putting a brass strip in the bottom of the groove.
Conventional hinged stopwork with the spring mounted on the plate; reversed fusee.
Greatwheel: double thickness of steel to sink the click with its brass spring.
The dial wheel is mounted friction tight on the arbor which carries the starwheel of 12.
60 ┌ 50 45 40
── │ ── ── ──
6 ┤ 5 5 5
6 ║ ┘
countwheel ← 78 ║
Barrel: cased spring, wall of brass. Spring later; outside end hooked into the wall (the outer end of the spring has a hole as well), inside end hooked over a stud on the arbor (which retains the original lengthwise slot). No stopwork.
Split arbor. Geatwheel: double thickness of steel to sink the click and its (repaired) brass spring. Clickwheel of 17.
Second wheel: 6 hammer lifting pins.
Fourth wheel: stud near centre to lock the train.
Small brass fly.
Countwheel: internally geared ring, recessed into the backplate. It is engraved with a numbers of the last struck hour, to be read almost oposite where there is now no indicator.
Hammer: mounted on the front plate under a separate brass cock.
Bell between the plates: it is mounted on a steel bar which is screwed to the back plate (the present bell is later).
Striking levers steel.
Unwarned striking with overlift off the pinwheel and random locking.
Going train: greatwheel 1 rev. in 4 hours.
escapement 9450 beats per hour.
duration: 29 hours.
Striking train: greatwheel 2.6 revs. in 24 hours.
Hight (without the dial wheel arbor) 66 mm
Width 123, 124 mm
Movement: plates 104 x 104 mm
distance between the plates 33 mm
HISTORY AND PROVENANCE.
Ilbert collection. According to Ilbert's ledger (113 K) bought in the late 30's from one Finialle, a name that has not been traced.
Presented by Mr.Gilbert Edgar C.B.E. in 1958; reg. CAI 2153.
The clock has been converted to balanace spring, which is still present. A simple ring regulator is mounted under the balance, and the weight of the balance (which is probably original) was increased with a brass ring (made out of a ratchet tooth wheel).
Presumably at the same time the fusee was converted to chain; in order to accomodate this the case was slightly hammered out and a portion of the pilar near the barrel was filed away.
Subsequent restoration includes one of the latches to secure the movement in the case, and the bell.
The maker is mentioned in 1604 (Fuhse  154).
Springs: going 0.4 x 18 mm, fairly regular width, no blueing; full width hook both ends. The spring looks original.
striking 0.3 x 21 mm, has a crack; not original.
I think the brass wheels in the going are original. Check if these holes are bushed; if so it has been very neatly done.
Is there any indication for an indicator for the countwheel? This was at the end of the cock for the 2nd wheel; in the picture the last hour struck is 11.
In the striking train the third wheel is kept on its arbor by a steel ring (bent and brazed strip) brazed around the arbor.
The second wheel has a repair: the wheel was re riveted to the arbor, and the pinion has between two leaves a blind hole. Perhpas the arbor was broken and repaired? One of the lifting pins is loose.
Some steel parts now blued: on the hand and the countwheel this may be original, on the set-up surely not.
BIBLIOGRAPHY (Pauline Wholey – 2019)
Baillie 2 (1947) G.H.Baillie, Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World 2nd ed (London 1947).
Ilbert (1958) Auction cat. coll. Courtenay A. Ilbert, London, Christie, 6 7 November 1958.
- Not on display
- Latest: 3 (Aug 2015)
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The Ilbert Collection of clocks, prints and other related material was destined to be sold at Christie's auction house on 6th-7th November 1958. As a result of the generous donation of funds by Gilbert Edgar CBE the sale was cancelled and the material purchased privately from the beneficiaries of the Ilbert Estate.NL1Ilbert's watches were then acquired with further funds from Gilbert Edgar CBE, public donations and government funds. These were then registered in the series 1958,1201.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Previous owner/ex-collection number: CAI.2153 (Ilbert Collection)
Previous owner/ex-collection number: K113 (Ilbert Ledger)