- Museum number
WEIGHT-DRIVEN 30-HOUR LANTERN CLOCK WITH ALARM, NOW IN A STAINED-PINE FLOOR-STANDING CASE.
Posted-frame lantern clock. A very poorly made central fret above the dial. Four finials at the top support a brass spider which carries the bell which itself is surmounted by a central finial. Four turned brass feet at the bottom. The clock has two spikes and a hoop at the back for wall hanging. Both side doors and both side frets are now lacking.
Brass dial plate engraved with floral motifs at the sides with the maker's signature above and below the centre. Silvered-brass chapter-ring with Roman hours I-XII around a quarters circle with lozenge marks at the half-hours. Silvered-brass alarm-setting disc engraved 1-12. Single blued-steel hand.
Weight-driven thirty-hour movement now converted to 8-day duration by the addition of an intermediate wheel between the great and second wheels. Anchor escapement now with seconds pendulum.
Weight-driven crown wheel and verge alarm mechanism mounted on the rear case plate.
The clock is now in a later [18th century?] floor standing stained pine and mahogany case with pull-forward hood with glazed door; two-panel full-length door and very shallow moulded plinth.
Great wheel 72
[Inter wheel] 60/6
Second wheel 60/6
Escape wheel 30/6
The clock now has a large pinion of report [brass wheel] of 40 teeth which drives a brass dial wheel of 24 [neither of which is original].
- Production date
Height: 5.50 feet
- Curator's comments
- The conversion to 8-day duration with a seconds pendulum was probably done at the same time that the clock was furnished with the floor-standing longcase case - probably in the mid-18th century. The case is not of standard longcase design having a full-length two-panel door and no proper plinth. There are also no locks on the case, the doors to the hood and trunk being secured by push-in steel pegs. The case is almost certainly of provinicial origin or possibly continental and was not designed specifically for the clock it now houses.
- Not on display
- Latest: 4 (1994)
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The Ilbert Collection of clocks, prints and other related material was destined to be sold at Christie's auction house on 6th-7th November 1958. As a result of the generous donation of funds by Gilbert Edgar CBE the sale was cancelled and the material purchased privately from the beneficiaries of the Ilbert Estate.NL1Ilbert's watches were then acquired with further funds from Gilbert Edgar CBE, public donations and government funds. These were then registered in the series 1958,1201.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: Lot 73 (Christie's Sale Cat.)
Previous owner/ex-collection number: A59/1 (Ilbert Ledger)
Previous owner/ex-collection number: CAI.2064 (Ilbert Collection)