- Museum number
Horizontal table clock; spring-driven movement; going-train with verge escapement; balance, spring and regulation are of later date; striking train for hours only; count wheel positioned on the back plate; dial with chapter-ring I-XII and engraved landscape; hexagonal case with bell mounted beneath. With carrying case.
Gt wheel 64 (fusee with 6.25 turns).
2nd wheel 55/8
Contrate wheel 50/5
Escape wheel 17/5
Pinion of 20 on extended fusee arbor drives 60 tooth hour wheel.
Gt wheel 64
Pin wheel 50/8 (with extended pinion of 4).
3rd wheel 45/5
Locking wheel 40/5
- Production date
Width: 5 inches
- Curator's comments
- The following text is the entry for this object from the unpublished catalogue of pre-pendulum clocks by John Leopold, former Assistant Keeper of Horology at the Museum. This information is unedited and should be used accordingly.
HEXAGONAL HORIZONTAL TABLECLOCK, by Micheal Schultz, Gdansk, ca.1640.
Ilbert No. 131 F: ex Wartski, July 1930.
Baillie 2 (1947) 286.
Cat.Ilbert (1958) no.258.
Siedlecka (1976) 72, fig.25.
Abeler (1977) 574 (states that this clock is dated 1635).
Engraved on the back plate: "Michael Schultz Dantzig". On the dial-side of the frontplate, near the hole for the barrel of the going train, is neatly engraved the number "16" (thought to be a batch-number). On a metal label attached to the hinged base is scratched the Ilbert number "131 F".
Made of brass with copper rivets, gilded on the outside and a band on the lower inside. The band was made of two parts, each bent into three panels; these parts were dovetailed and brazed together. The band is plain; a top and bottom it is enclosed in profile rings. These rings were each made out of six sections, brazed together and riveted to the band. The top edge of the top ring is engraved with a narrow rope-border; this ring as a notch at XII.
The three feet, shaped as formalized cornsheefs, are a restoration; they are cast of white metal, soldered (including the screwheads) to the lower ring and then gilded.
The hinged base, which carries the bell, is also a restoration, although the fixed part of the hinge and the keep for the bolt, both of steel, are original. The present base is a hexagonal plate with a large hole through which bell and bell-stand (screwed on by means of two brass screws) protrude. The base retains traces of silvering.
Movement and dial slip into the case from the top. The band has three square holes to take the latches that secure the movement. Two small holes at III may at one time have taken pins to prevent the movement from sliding out.
Made of wood, iron bound; painted dark green. Two closing-hooks and the lockplate are of brass, with traces of gilding. The case is lined with yellowish brown wash leather, and is a very snug fit (the clock will not fit with the XII at the hinge). The case appears to be 18th century and was probably married to the clock at a later stage
Made of a hexagonal brass plate, fixed to the movement by four turned dial-feet. The centre of the plate is engraved with a landscape, the corners with simple formalized foliage. The chapterring is riveted to the dial plate by four rivets; it is much worn. The ring is divided I - XII with sinple half-hour marks and has 24 dots along the inner edge.
The plate and apparently also the ring have slight traces of gilding.
Plated movement, made largely of brass. Four turned pillars, screwed to the back plate with decorated steel nuts and pinned under the dial. The backplate and its furniture has been lightly gilded, but most this has rubbed off.
There are three screwholes for latches to secure the movement in the case, but only two latches, both replacements, are now present.
All trainwheels have three crossings, except the great wheels which are solid.
20 ║ 64 55 50
── ║ ── ── ── 17 (x 2)
12-hour ← 60 ║ 8 5 5
Greatwheel: split fusee with hidden clickwork, ratchet wheel of 12. Fusee 6 1/4 turns, re-cut for chain. Conventional stopwork with decorative spring (the base shaped and engraved as a swan). Barrel with cap riveted at one end, snap-fit over five studs (formerly pinned) at the other. Outer end of spring hooked (steel hook) into square hole in the wall; inner end hooked over stud on the arbor, but this still has the slot for the original hooking.
Potence and counter-potence screwed. Originally the clock had a hog-bristle regulator, the scale for which is partly obscured by the signature.
Pinion-of-report brass; dial wheel steel, friction-tight on the arbor which carries the 12-pointed star for unlocking.
64 ┌ 50 45 40
── │ ── ── ──
8 ┤ 5 5 5
4 ║ ┘
12-hour ← 52 ║
Great wheel: split arbor, ratchet wheel of 13. Cased spring, the visivle part of the casing engraved with flowers. Spring hooked (steel hook) into square hole in the casing; inner end hooked over stud on the arbor, which retains the slot for the original hooking.
Second wheel: 6 lifting pins. Pinion-of-report is a lantern of 4 cut into the end of the arbor.
Fourth wheel: massive brass stud for locking.
Fly: heavy brass fly.
Countwheel steel with brass disc.
Detends: steel, with engraved brass gate. Hammer repaired.
Unwarned striking with overlift off the pin-wheel (2nd wheel) and locking on the fourth wheel. Lifting wheel with random number of teeth.
The clock has been converted to balance-spring, which led to the discarding of the original hog-bristle regulator. Probably at the same time the gut was replaced by the present chain and the springs replaced.
When the damage to the bottom of the clock occured is not clear, but at some time it lost all the feet and the hinged base with the bell, though it retained the keep of the bolt and the fixed part of the hinge. The restoration is not a particularly good one and the present feet, soldered to the case, are of a type not recorded for this sort of clock.
Hight (without dial-arbor) - 80 mm.
Width (without feet) - 126 mm.
Movement: distance between the plates - 24 mm.
Great wheel - 1 rev in 4 hours.
Duration - 25 hours.
Escapement - 7480 beats per hour.
No historic details about this maker are known. One other clock by him has been recorded, also hexagonal but with grand sonnerie striking on three bells and a complicated calendarical dial, and dating from ca.1650 1).
Ornamental treatment of the spring for the stopwork is often found on clocks from this region, though the present spring is unusually rich. The Swan is the main emblem for Lutheranism, which serves as a reminder that Gdansk at the time was a mainly protestant city, largely independent of the predominantly catholic Poland to which it was nominally subject.
1) Auction cat. Christie's, London, 8 October 1968 lot 170; Maurice (1976) fig.619; auction cat. Sotheby's, London, 17 December 1998 lot 248.
Springs: both appear to be later.
Going - 19.5 x .4
Dial wheel steel, friction-tight to the arbor which carries the starwheel for unlocking; pinion-of-report brass.
The two great wheels have the same count, but not the same size.
Near the hole for the barrel going train, inside front plate, a roughly scratched 18(?).
Check the traveling case: it is a good fit if the repaired feet of the clock are disregarded. Measurements?
The Christie/Maurice/Sotheby-clock has longest day 17 hours, corresponding to latitude 5430', which is about right for Gdansk.
BIBLIOGRAPHY (Pauline Wholey – 2019)
Baillie 2 (1947) G.H.Baillie, Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World 2nd ed (London 1947).
Ilbert (1958) Auction cat. coll. Courtenay A. Ilbert, London, Christie, 6 7 November 1958.
Siedlecka (1976) - W.Siedlecka, Polskie Zegary (Wroclaw etc. 1976); 2nd ed. unchanged (Wroclaw etc. 1988).
Abeler (1977) - J.Abeler, Meister der Uhrmacherkunst (Wuppertal 1977).
- Not on display
- Latest: 3 (Aug 2015)
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- The Ilbert Collection of clocks, prints and other related material was destined to be sold at Christie's auction house on 6th-7th November 1958. As a result of the generous donation of funds by Gilbert Edgar CBE the sale was cancelled and the material purchased privately from the beneficiaries of the Ilbert Estate.
Ilbert's watches were then acquired with further funds from Gilbert Edgar CBE, public donations and government funds. These were then registered in the series 1958,1201.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Previous owner/ex-collection number: CAI.1962 (Ilbert Collection)
Previous owner/ex-collection number: F131 (Ilbert Ledger)