- Museum number
Bowl and cover; hard-paste porcelain; relief-moulded pattern on lower part of bowl and central part of cover, which is surmounted by double finial and with another relief pattern on rim of cover, all silvered; painted scenes in monochrome pink of riders in landscape near castle and peasants near buildings on bowl and with pink 'Laub und Bandelwerk' with touches of gilding on cover; unmarked.
- Production date
- 1735 (circa)
Diameter: 19 centimetres (with cover)
Diameter: 18 centimetres (without cover)
Height: 21.80 centimetres (with cover and finial)
Height: 14.30 centimetres (without cover)
- Curator's comments
- Dawson 1985
This piece, once thought to have been made in Venice, was not correctly attributed to Du Paquier's factory until after the publication of the 'New Keramic Gallery'. There is a similarly-decorated bowl in the Österreichisches Museum für angewandte Kunst, Vienna (see W. Mrazek and W. Neuwirth, 'Wiener Porzellan 1718-1864', n.d., exh. cat. Österreichisches Museum für angewandte Kunst, no. 147, inv. Ke 6954). The painting on both examples is clearly based on engravings and even the painter's technique seems expressly designed to reproduce the appearance of an engraving, a feature which is especially remarkable on the covered bowl in the British Museum signed by Helchis which is on permanent display in Gallery 47 (Franks 263, illus. Hayward, 1952, pl. 59a and b).
The source for the decoration on this piece may be a 17th- or early 18th-century French print; the view with the riders is twenty or thirty years later in stylistic terms.
- On display (G46/dc16)
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Belonged to Chaffers in 1872
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number