- Museum number
Copper alloy buckle; miniature oval loop expanding to centre; plain tongue; plate a rectangular folded-over strip; one attachment rivet; from a shoe or horse-harness?.
Miniature copper-alloy buckle with rectangular plate, oval loop and tongue.
The attachment-plate is rectangular. The front and back-plates and the folded flap attachment are made from the same thin, rectangular strip folded in the middle. The front and back-plates are therefore of the same size. They are secured by a dome-headed attachment-rivet. The end of the rivet is burred over.
The folded flap attachment has a rectangular slot cut in the centre to accommodate the buckle-tongue.
The tongue is plain with the pointed end bent over the loop. It is attached by folding the base around the loop.
The loop is oval in shape and made from an oval-section rod. It narrows from the centre towards the ends.
- Production date
- 4thC-5thC (?)
Length: 25 millimetres
Weight: 3.05 grammes
Width: 16 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- Andrási 2008
Shoe-buckle, or from a horse-harness?
Similar buckles were found attached to a horse-harness from Kerch  and also amongst the mounts in the Kishpek chamber grave (Kabardino-Balkaria, south Russia). It is therefore possible that this buckle was part of the same horse-harness set as 1923,0716.16-28.
Buckles of this type were also found in a Sarmatian kurgan in the North Azov region (Ukraine), dated to the second half of the 2nd/early 3rd century, and in the 4th–5th century burials at Brodovsk (Ural region).
1. Kondakov N., Tolstoi J. and Reinach S. 1891, Antiquités de la Russie Méridionale, Paris, ill. 279; Rostovtsev 1923a, ill. 13
2. Bóna I. 1991, Das Hunnenreich (Budapest-Stuttgart). 183 ill. 70b. 264 no. 70; Bóna I. 1993, A hunok és nagykirályaik. Budapest, 157 ill. 70b, 238 no. 70
3. Shepko L.G. 1987, Pozdnesarmatskie kurgany v Severnom Priazov‘e. SA, 1987 - 4, 160, ill. 2:13, 15
4. Goldina R.D. and Vodolago N.V. 1990, Mogil’niki Nevolinskoi Kultury v Priural’e. Izdatel’stvo Irkutskogo Universiteta, Irkutsk, 13, pl. XXIV:12, 17
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number