- Museum number
Double-sided circular bronze seal-matrix with three pierced lugs and corresponding pegs. On the obverse is Inchaffray Abbey in Scotland with a central canopy under which a nimbed St John stands with a quill pen and book. There is a legend within pearled borders. On the reverse is a cusped border of eight points and the eagle of St John the Evangelist holding a scroll with a legend and on the surround the same legend as on the obverse. With wax impressions.
- Production date
Diameter: 7.70 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- Text from 'Good Impressions: Image and Authority in Medieval Seals', ed. Adams, Cherry and Robinson. British Museum 2008. Handlist no. 1.2.
Seal from Inchaffray Abbey.
This seal is used to make a double-sided wax impression. The front depicts the patron saint of Inchaffray Abbey, St John, standing inside the building.
On the back is his symbol, the eagle.
See also Glenn, V., 'Thirteenth-century seals - Tayside, Fife and the wider world', Tayside and Fife Archaeological Journal, no. 5, 1999. pp. 146-162.
A note written by Tonnochy on the back of a plaster cast reads:
Impression from a fake matrix. See letter from Charles D. Peters 1. 1. 47.
Date 27 Aug 2010
Text from 'Catalogue of British Seal-Dies in the British Museum', A.B. Tonnochy, London 1952, cat. no. 938.
The house of Austin Canons at Inchaffray, near Crieff, Perthshire, was founded by Earl Gilbert in 1200, the place which, as its name Insula Missarum implies, saw the frequent celebration of religious rites. For this and other Inchaffray seals see 'Scottish History Society Publications', vol. lvi (1908), 'Charters of Inchaffray Abbey', p. 309, Edinburgh 1908; 'Proc. Soc. Ant. Scot.',' lvii. p. 171.
- On display (G40/dc14/sC)
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number