- Museum number
Ampulla; clay; flat, circular sides with designs in relief. On side (a), within a double border of studs, is a head of Saint Menas, to right with curly hair and drapery round the neck. On side (b), within a border of studs, is a relief inscription in four lines. The mouth and one handle are largely missing. Buff fabric, with some dark sand inclusions.
- Production date
- 480-650 (circa)
Height: 3.75 inches
- Curator's comments
- Terracotta IV
Donated: Greville J. Chester.
Late Roman, about AD 480-650.
Comparanda: Sides (a) and (b): close: Brunner-Traut and Brunner 1981: pl. 168, no. Slg. Br.; Dewachter 1986: 88, no. 106, dated fifth to seventh century AD; Witt 2000: no. 55, dated end of fifth to mid-seventh century AD.
Side (a): close: Hayes 1976: 117, no. 272A, dated late sixth to seventh century AD; Kiss 1989a: no. 134, from Kom el-Dikka, Alexandria, context of AD 610-650.
Near: Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, no. 1888.315; Cabrol 1907: col. 1728, fig. 450; George 1974: 37, fig. 11; Metzger 1981: no 80a, from Alexandria, dated sixth to seventh century AD.
Side (b): close: von Falck and Lichtwark 1996: 167, no. 145a, dated end of fifth to middle of seventh century AD. Near: Buschhausen et al. 1995: 285, no. 307, dated AD 400-600.
Bibliog: Kiss 1989a: 49, no. 133.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number