- Museum number
Ampulla; clay; flat, circular sides with designs in relief. On side (a), within a border of studs, Saint Menas stands to front, his arms outstretched in blessing. Above each arm is a cross. He wears a short tunic and is flanked by camels. On side (b), within a narrow plain border, is a pattern of relief circles, one in the centre, six surrounding it, with small studs where the circles come together. The central circle has a cross, the others a large stud, at their centres. Orange-brown fabric with a buff surface.
- Production date
- 480-650 (circa)
Height: 9.50 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- Terracotta IV
Purchased: Greville J. Chester.
Late Roman, about AD 480-650.
Comparanda: Side (a): near: Kiss 1989a: nos 46, 47, 56 and 66, from Kom el-Dikka, Alexandria, context of AD 610-650. Side (b): near: Kiss 1989a: no. 37, from Kom el-Dikka, Alexandria, context of AD 560-610.
Bibliog: Dalton 1901: no. 874; Murray 1907: pl. v:6.
- Not on display
- Exhibition history
1989 23 Jun-31 Aug, Durham Cathedral, Anglo Saxon Connections
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number