- Museum number
Ampulla; clay; flat, circular sides with designs in relief. On side (a), inside a sunken border with four cardinally placed studs, Saint Menas stands to front, his arms outstretched in blessing. He has a nimbus and curly hair, and wears a short tunic and a cloak, which is visible only where it crosses the shoulders. He is flanked by camels. On side (b), within a border of radiating lines, is the relief inscription with a stud below.
- Production date
Height: 3.63 inches
- Curator's comments
- Terrcotta IV
Purchased: Greville J. Chester.
Late Roman, about AD 480-650.
Comparanda. Side (a): close: George 1974: 34, fig. 5; Metzger 1981: no. 55a, from Alexandria, dated sixth to seventh century AD. Near: Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, no. 1882.42; von Falck and Lichtwark 1996: 163, no. 138a, dated end of fifth to middle of seventh century AD.
Side (b): close: Witt 2000: no. 37, side A, from Alexandria, dated end of fifth to mid-seventh century AD.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number