- Museum number
Ampulla; clay; flat, circular sides with designs in relief. On side (a), within a border of angled rays and six widely spaced groups of three studs, is a circle containing a cross, skewed from an upright position. The cross has two studs at the end of each arm, and single strokes between the arms. On side (b), above an uncertain pattern, is an inscription of two lines, upside down, and with raised dividing lines. The mouth and handles are all largely lost. Coarse clay, varying from buff to brown, with many white inclusions, probably related to Abu Mena Buff Ware.
- Production date
- 480-650 (circa)
Height: 3 inches
- Curator's comments
- Terracotta IV
Purchased: Greville J. Chester. Acquired in Alexandria.
Late Roman, about AD 480-650.
Comparandum: Side (b). Close: Metzger 1981: no. 85b, from Alexandria, dated sixth to seventh century AD.
Bibliog: Murray 1907: pl. iv:1.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number