- Museum number
Mourning-ring for Lord Nelson; gold; flat hoop expanding to shoulders; raised oblong bezel with letters surmounted by viscount's and ducal coronets, on ground of black enamel; coronets enriched with coloured enamels; engraved inscription. No maker's mark.
- Production date
- 1805 (date of inscription)
Diameter: 0.84 inches
Length: 0.66 inches (bezel)
Weight: 97 grains
- Curator's comments
- See also 1879,0519.4-9
Text from Dalton 1912, Catalogue of Finger Rings:
'Given by the Rev.W.P. Haslewood, 1879'.
Text from Ward, Cherry et al, 'The Ring from Antiquity to the Twentieth Century,' London 1981, pl.277.
The mourning-rings for Admiral Nelson were made at the request of Dr William Nelson, his brother and heir, by a London jeweller, Mr Salter of 35 Strand, who had been a personal friend of the admiral. Every admiral and post-captain who saw action at the Battle of Trafalgar (1805), in which Nelson was fatally wounded, was presented with a mourning-ring, as well as the members of Nelson's family and their immediate connections, the Bolton and Matcham families. It is estimated that at least a hundred of these rings were distributed. The bezel of this ring bears the inscription: TRAFALGAR and the initials 'N' beneath a viscount's coronet, and 'B' beneath a ducal coronet, for Nelson and Bronte, commemorating Admiral Lord Nelson, Duke of Bronte. The hoop is engraved inside: PALMAM QUI MERVIT FERAT ('Let him who has won it bear the palm'), which was adopted by Lord Nelson as his motto, and LOST TO HIS COUNTRY 21 OCTr 1805 AGED 47.
Information supplementary to Ward, Cherry et al:
Similar rings are held by the Victoria & Albert Museum and the National Maritime Museum, London. See also Christrie's, South Kensington, 9 October 2012, lot 403.
- On display (G47/dc7)
- Associated events
Commemoration of: Battle of Trafalgar
Associated Event: Napoleonic Wars
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number