- Museum number
Ampulla; clay; flat, circular sides with designs in relief. On each side, within a border of studs, Saint Menas stands to front, his arms outstretched in blessing. Above each arm is a cross. He wears a short tunic and a long cloak, and is flanked by camels. Both sides are from moulds produced from the same archetype. The mouth and handles are largely missing. Red-brown clay with a buff surface.
- Production date
- 480-650 (circa)
Height: 3 inches
- Curator's comments
- Terracotta IV
Donated: Augustus Meyrick; once in the Meyrick-Douce Collection.
Late Roman, about AD 480-650.
Close: Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, e.83.1932 and e.p.339; Kiss 1989a: nos 49 and 50, from Kom el-Dikka, Alexandria, context of AD 610-650; Lunsingh Scheurleer 1998: 3, fig. 4, top right; Strzygowski 1904: pl. xxi:8970, from Alexandria; von Falck and Lichtwark 1996: 162, no. 137a, dated end of fifth to middle of seventh century AD.
Near: Mahmoud 1993: 296; Metzger 1981: nos 11 and 12, dated sixth to seventh century AD.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number