- Museum number
Ampulla; clay; flat, circular sides with designs in relief. On side (a), within a double border of small studs, is a head of Saint Menas to right, with drapery round the neck. On side (b), within a border of studs, is an inscription. The mouth is broken away. Orange clay with a buff surface.
- Production date
- 480-650 (circa)
Height: 5.25 inches
- Curator's comments
- Terracotta IV
Purchased: Greville J. Chester.
Late Roman, about AD 480-650.
Comparanda: Sides (a) and (b): close: Metzger 1981: no. 77, from Alexandria, dated sixth to seventh century AD; Petrie Museum uc19518, thought to be from Alexandria; Strzygowski 1904: pl. xxi:8975, from Kom el-Gizeh or Kafr ed-Dawer; Witt 2000: no. 56, dated end of fifth to mid-seventh century AD.
Side (a): close: Tulli 1932: 233. Near: Kaufmann 1908: 69 and 194, figs 48:8 and 141:19, from Abu Mena.
Side (b): near: Hayes 1976: 117, no. 272B, dated late sixth to seventh century AD; Kiss 1989a: no. 133, from Kom el-Dikka, Alexandria, context of AD 610-650.
Bibliog: Kiss 1989a: 49, no. 133.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: OA.2411