- Museum number
Ampulla; clay; flat, circular sides with designs in relief. On side (a), within a double border, Saint Menas stands to front, his arms outstretched in blessing. Above each arm is a cross. He wears a short tunic and a long cloak, and is flanked by camels. On side (b) is a cross, within a wide wreath, which rises from and terminates with ring-and-dot patterns. The mouth and handles are largely lost.
- Production date
- 480-650 (circa)
Height: 2.80 inches
- Curator's comments
- Terracotta IV
Purchased: Greville J. Chester. Acquired in Egypt, probably Alexandria.
Late Roman, about AD 480-650.
Comparanda: Sides (a) and (b): very close: Kiss 1989a: no. 21, from Kom el-Dikka, Alexandria, context of AD 560-610. Near: Metzger 1981: no. 29, from Alexandria, dated sixth to seventh century AD.
Side (a): close: Kiss 1989a: no.17, from Kom el-Dikka, Alexandria, context of AD 560-610. Near: Witt 2000: nos 25 and 26, side A, both from Abu Mena, dated end of fifth to mid-seventh century AD.
Side (b): near: Kiss 1989a: no. 38, from Kom el-Dikka, Alexandria, context of AD 600-620; Metzger 1981: no. 28b, from Alexandria, dated sixth to seventh century AD; Pagenstecher 1913: 93, fig. 106:8, from Alexandria.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number