- Museum number
Gold bar fragment. The bar, possibly a bracelet piece, is curved and circular in cross-section. There are cut marks at both ends. One side of the bar has modern engraved writing and accompanying incised decoration. The writing appears to read "M&C" though the C is debatable.
- Production date
- 1400BC-1100BC (circa)
Length: 20.64 millimetres
Weight: 19.80 grammes
Thickness: 8.94 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- The Mountfield hoard was discovered on 12th January 1863 during ploughing. It seems that the objects, which were in or associated with a wooden box, were placed in a prepared pit.
Most of the objects in the Mountfield hoard were melted down after discovery and only a fragment of a ribbed bracelet (1863,1212.2) and of a possible plain bracelet (1863,1212.1) are known to survive. The total weight of the hoard has been estimated at around 12 or 13 lbs.
Apparently a twisted bar torc, some twisted bar rings and penannular bracelets were part of the hoard; for these reasons it is possible to hypothesize a Middle Bronze Age date for the hoard and consequently for the bar and sheet bracelet fragments (1863, 1212.1-2).
Further research by Mr Trevor Sully has revealed that the date of the find was January 12th 1863 and not January 1st 1863 as reported by George Eogan. The witness depositions in the National Archives (Catalogue reference is ASSI 36/10) record a deposition taken from William Butchers, the man who ploughed up the hoard, and from Thomas Adams, the farmer who employed him. Various local newspapers reported the find including the Hastings & St Leonards News (April 3, 1863 and July 24, 1863) & the Sussex Express, Surrey Standard, Weald of Kent Mail, Hants & County Advertiser (March 31, 1863 and July 25, 1863).
A detailed report of the hoard discovery is given in Piper (1906, p. 29-30) who records the date of discovery as January 12th 1862 (rather than 1863).
Reference: Eogan G., The Associated finds of Gold Bar Torcs, Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, 97, 1967, p.151-152.
Piper, J.J. History of Robertsbridge. Salehurst Parish & Neighbourhood. 2nd edition. 1906.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- A third fragment was presented to the Lord of the Manor and is last known to have been in the hands of Mrs C.A. Egerton, the Banks, Robertsbridge.
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number