- Museum number
Ampulla; clay; flat, circular sides with designs in relief. On side (a), within a narrow plain border, Saint Menas stands to front, his arms raised in blessing. He wears a short tunic and a long cloak, and is flanked by camels. On side (b), within a wreath, is a head of Saint Menas to right, with curly hair and drapery round the neck. One handle is largely lost. Buff fabric with white sand inclusions.
- Production date
- 480-650 (circa)
Height: 4.10 inches
- Curator's comments
- Terracotta IV
Donated: acquired with funds made available by Lord Stratford de Redcliffe; purchased by C.T. Newton during his work on Kalymnos: from a cemetery near the harbour of Pothia
Late Roman, about AD 480-650.
Comparandum: Side (b): close: Kaufmann 1910: 122, fig. 63, from Abu Mena, dated fourth century AD.
Bibliog: Kiss 1989a: 49, no. 133; Newton n.d.: no. 62.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number