- Museum number
Ampulla; clay; flat, circular sides with designs in relief. On (convex) side (a), within a grooved border, Saint Menas stands to front, his arms outstretched in blessing. He has a nimbus, but details of his dress cannot be determined. He is flanked by camels. On (flat) side (b), within a wreath, is the inscription. One handle is missing. Orange fabric with a buff surface.
- Production date
- 480-650 (circa)
Height: 3.25 inches
- Curator's comments
- Terracotta IV
Donated: Lord Stratford de Redcliffe. Purchased by C.T. Newton on the island of Kalymnos: from a group of rock-cut chambers near the harbour of Pothia.
Late Roman, about AD 480-650.
Comparanda: Sides (a) and (b): close: Kiss 1989a: no. 29, and near: no. 28, from Kom el-Dikka, Alexandria, context of AD 560-610.
Side (a): close: Garbsch and Overbeck 1989: no. 184, dated fourth to seventh century AD. Near: Daszewski 1990: 103, fig. 14, from Miami-Sidi Bishr, Alexandria, dated sixth, early seventh century AD.
Side (b): near: Ede n.d.a: 168, lot 28, dated sixth to seventh century AD; Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, e.84.1932; Kaufmann 1908: 194, fig. 141:15, from Abu Mena; Metzger 1981: 83b, from Alexandria, dated sixth to seventh century AD; Strzygowski 1904: pl. xxi:8973; Witt 2000: no. 38, side B, from Alexandria, dated end of fifth to mid-seventh century AD.
Bibliog: Nesbit 1873: 330, no. 5; Newton n.d.: no. 61.
- Not on display
- Half missing.
- Acquisition date
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number