- Museum number
Copper alloy terret. Cast copper alloy ring with a 'saddle' type attachment bar set between two large circular stops; each is slightly hollowed on both faces. Around the stops are grooves which have been partly obliterated by wear. Running around the inner edge of the ring is a crescentic flange with identical ornament on both faces (but with minor differences of detail due to lack of care in execution). The decorative motif is reserved against a field of red glass and is embellished with very fine incised lines. Between the ridge on the inner edge of the ring and the ornamental crescent there is a series of finely incised triangles, every other one of which is filled with very finely punched dots. Areas of punched dots also highlight parts of the main pattern. Along the rim of the flange there are two parallel grooves; the ridge between them is transversely nicked at approximately 0.5 mm intervals with a 1.5 mm dumb-bell-edged punch whose edge was slightly hollowed in the middle.
- Production date
- 1 - 150
Height: 96.40 millimetres
Weight: 223 grammes
Thickness: 27.50 millimetres (max)
Width: 104.90 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- From a hoard of metal objects discovered by chance in draining Millpost Field in the spring of 1855. Other finds suggest that it was the site of a settlement.
- On display (G50/dc12)
- Exhibition history
2016 11 Mar- 25 Sep, Edinburgh, National Museum of Scotland, Celts.
2015-2016 24 Sep-31 Jan, London, BM, G30, 'Celts: Art and Identity'
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number