- Museum number
Gold flange twisted torc in two pieces and a gold composite ring. The torc was made from a cast bar. Four longitudinal cuts were made into the bar which was worked to create an X-shaped cross-section. The torc was then twisted by rotating the ends of the bar from left to right. It was then forged at each end into bent-back trumpet terminals which are circular in section. A small composite penannular ring made up from two ring sections runs freely along the body of the torc.
- Production date
- 1400BC-1100BC (circa)
Diameter: 10.57 millimetres (ring)
Diameter: 125.56 millimetres (two pieces)
Length: 52.03 millimetres (teminal)
Weight: 68.87 grammes (three pieces)
Thickness: 8.28 millimetres (body)
Thickness: 0.57 millimetres (ring)
Thickness: 4.41 millimetres (terminal maximum)
Thickness: 2.80 millimetres (terminal minimum)
Width: 6.85 millimetres (ring)
- Curator's comments
- The slip catalogue and original documents suggest that there were originally two rings, one of which was lost during cleaning. The original drawing in Archaeologica XXVI (1836) Appendix page 471 shows the proposed way the rings were used to hold torc closed. The torc is also complete in the drawing indicating that it was broken subsequent to its discovery.
In terms of location a new consideration of the original publication suggests that the findspot is to the north of the Rectory (the former rear of the house) just above the high tide line.
Stoddart, A.G. (2007) The Boyton Torc. Boyton Parish Publication
- Not on display
- The torc is in two pieces.
- Acquisition notes
- From Messrs Sharman, first owned by H. Edwards of Sutton, later given to the Ven. R.H.Cobbold
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number