- Museum number
Copper alloy terret with glass 'enamel'. Cast bronze ring with 'saddle' type attachment bar set between two slightly slanting circular domed stops that are slightly hollowed underneath. Around each of them there is a groove; this has been worn away on the inner face of one of the stops. There is much wear on the tops of the stops and on the adjacent parts of the inner face of the ring. Symmetrically disposed around the outer edge of the ring and set parallel thereto are three clusters of four semi-circular wings; close to the edge on the under surface of the sideways-projecting wings there is a groove. The inner faces of the other two wings in each pair are embellished with insets filled with glass; these insets, like the triangular ones on the ring itself are bordered by incised lines. Most of the glass has now devitrified, but one or two unaltered fragments indicate that it was all originally red in colour.
- Production date
- 50 - 150 (circa)
Height: 77.60 millimetres
Weight: 228.30 grammes
Thickness: 25.20 millimetres (max)
Width: 93.70 millimetres
- Curator's comments
- From a hoard of metal objects in a pit lined with burnt clay found by chance in ploughing a field in June 1800 near the top of the Polden Hills somewhere near Bridgewater (Harford 1803: 90-1). Harford wrote: "the hoard was ploughed up near the top of Polden Hill near Bridgewater. Polden hill is an eminence on one side of Kings Sedgemoor, a little above the village of Edington, where are evident remains of a Roman station."
According to W.A. Seaby (quoted in C. Fox 1952: 54), the hoard was probably found on Knowle Hill in Bawdrip parish; the source of Seaby's information is not cited, but it may be related to two letters sent to the British Museum (from R. Rainbird Clarke on 26th May 1938 and H.S.L. Dewar on 11th March 1949) which give this location. Mansel Spratling (quoted in Brailsford 1975, 222) has suggested that this could be a confusion arising from the fact that there is a terret from Knowle Hill in Taunton Museum. This terret is very different to the Polden Hill group, and is much more extensively mineralised. It may be safest (as Brailsford has argued) to dismiss the Bawdrip location and accept the original location: 'a little above the village of Edington'.
- On display (G1/wp195)
- Exhibition history
2016 11 Mar- 25 Sep, Edinburgh, National Museum of Scotland, Celts.
- Acquisition notes
- In sale on March 23rd 1846
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number