- Museum number
Copper alloy terret. Cast copper alloy ring with rectangular attachment bar set on edge between two vertical domed stops around each of which there is a groove. The tops of the stops and the adjacent parts of the inner face of the ring have slight wear-facets. Symmetrically disposed around the ring and set transverse thereto are three pairs of lip-wings, the inner faces of which are embellished with red glass; the insets are bordered by incised lines. Incised lines also define curving-sided areas of pointelle dots; some of the incised lines also have punched dots spaced along them. On either side of the grooves between the wings there is a narrow bevel transversely nicked with a chisel-ended punch at 0.5mm intervals. The ring itself is also embellished with red glass; the insets are bordered with indented incised lines. The outer edge of the ring is transversely nicked with a chisel-ended punch at approximately 1mm intervals.
- Production date
- 50 - 150 (circa)
Height: 58.60 millimetres
Weight: 177 grammes
Thickness: 24.30 millimetres (max)
Width: 79.80 millimetres
- Curator's comments
The hoard also contained two other terrets of identical design (1846,0322.85&92).
From a hoard of metal objects in a pit lined with burnt clay found by chance in ploughing a field in June 1800 near the top of the Polden Hills somewhere near Bridgewater (Harford 1803: 90-1). Harford wrote: "the hoard was ploughed up near the top of Polden Hill near Bridgewater. Polden hill is an eminence on one side of Kings Sedgemoor, a little above the village of Edington, where are evident remains of a Roman station."
According to W.A. Seaby (quoted in C. Fox 1952: 54), the hoard was probably found on Knowle Hill in Bawdrip parish; the source of Seaby's information is not cited, but it may be related to two letters sent to the British Museum (from R. Rainbird Clarke on 26th May 1938 and H.S.L. Dewar on 11th March 1949) which give this location. Mansel Spratling (quoted in Brailsford 1975, 222) has suggested that this could be a confusion arising from the fact that there is a terret from Knowle Hill in Taunton Museum. This terret is very different to the Polden Hill group, and is much more extensively mineralised. It may be safest (as Brailsford has argued) to dismiss the Bawdrip location and accept the original location: 'a little above the village of Edington'.
- On display (G1/wp195)
- Acquisition notes
- In sale on March 23rd 1846
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number