- Museum number
Buff sandstone altar dedicated to Herakles. On left side, knife and bucranium; on right, wreath. Front is inscribed in Greek. The capital has been hollowed out and has a metal fitting for a cover, presumably as a medieval stoup. The base has also been hollowed out but is broken away in front, as if it had once been reused as a stoup and then superseded. The capital in its original form.
- Production date
Height: 101 millimetres
Thickness: 40 millimetres
Width: 55 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- The top of the capital has been hollowed out to serve as a holy-water stoup. A metal dowel in the rear right-hand corner suggests that the stoup had a lid. The base has been similarly hollowed out (CSIR 1, 1).
- On display (G49/od)
- Lower part of the right side of the shaft is missing. Substantial damage to the base.
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Seen in the churchyard by C. Hunter in 1702
- Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- Registration number