- Museum number
A convex slab of Parian marble, with a joint on all four sides. There are four lines of inscription in alphabetic Greek script.
- Production date
- 225 BC-175 BC
Height: 13.97 centimetres
Width: 30.48 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- The provenance of Kition was suggested on the fact that the inscription was first copied in Larnaka, though it may have been brought there by a collector or dealer from ellsewhere in the island.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Acquisition notes
- Previously unregistered, but was in the Museum collection by 1883 when Charles Newton included it in the second volume of the catalogue of Greek inscriptions. Its source is not stated there though it was first published by Joseph Hammer (von Purgstall) in 1811 who may have seen in on his visit to Cyprus in 1802 (Hammer 1811, 177 no. 43). It may have been collected at the same time as BM Inscription 385 (2013,5017,9) which was removed from the ruins of Palaepaphos (Kouklia) by Commodore Sydney Smith R.N. in 1802 in the presence of Hammer and also published in the latter's account (1811, 180 no. 50; see Maier 2001, 70-1; also Maier and von Wartburg 1988, 276-7 and note 21).
Hammer von Purgstall J. 1811, Topographische Ansichten gesammelt auf einer Reise in die Levant (Vienna).
Maier, F.G. 2001, 'From Hammer von Purgstall to F.B. Welch. The archaeology of Old Paphos, 1802-1899', in V. Tatton-Brown (ed), Cyprus in the 19th century AD. Fact, fancy and Fiction (Oxford: Oxbow), 70-9.
Maier, F.G. and von Wartburg, M.-L. 1988, 'Strangers at Palaepaphos', RDAC 1988 (2), 275-9.
- Greek and Roman
- Registration number