- Museum number
Marble block with a dedicatory inscription from the veterans of the Second Legion Traiana Fortis who enlisted in AD 168, in honour of the emperor Septimius Severus, on their discharge in AD 194. Their names are listed on the sides of the slab.
- Production date
- AD 194
Height: 66.04 centimetres
Length: 74.93 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- Of 41 men, the origins are legible: 32 are from Egypt, 24 of them were born 'castris', meaning they are soldiers’ sons, growing up around legionary encampments and eventually becoming soldiers themselves.
(David S. Potter (ed.) A Companion to the Roman Empire, p.222.)
According to the CIL, the stone with inscription was found in a camp near Alexandria, and was first published by Captain Walsh, who is quoted ‘inscription dug out of the ditch of no. 1 Redoubt on the 24th May 1802; now in the possession of Major General Sir Ere Coote.’ When the CIL was published, the inscription was in Sir Coote’s mansion, West Park, near Fordinbridge in Hampshire, where it was seen by F. Haverfield.
- ILS 2304
- Eph. Epig. V, p. 3, no. 10; p. 206 and pp. 259-262
- Haverfield, F. (1883) Journal of Philology, vol. XII, p. 292-6
- Wright, R.P. (1942) Journal of Roman Studies, vol. 32, p. 33ff.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Greek and Roman
- Registration number