- Museum number
- Series: The Treasury of Atreus
Fragment of red marble (rosso antico), from the façade of the Treasury of Atreus.
The decoration consists of half-rosettes set in pairs opposed; between each pair, a triglyph in the centre of which are three vertical running spirals. Above and below, squared bead pattern. The wall line shows in the middle; there are two dowel holes on the top near the left end and another near the right on the underside. The slab has a battered surface, the thickness on the two beds being about a centimetre different.
- Production date
- 1350BC-1250BC (circa)
Thickness: 0.10 - 0.142 metres
Height: 28.60 centimetres
Length: 73.50 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- BM Sculpture
Smith, no. 2725; Brit. Mus. Guide to Gr. and R. Antiqs., 1920, fig. 1; Lethaby, Gr. Buildings in the Br. Mus., p. 200, fig. 203; Reinach in Rev. Arch., 1905, II, p. 465; Wace in B.S.A., xxv, p. 345.
This fragment had lain for many years before Schliemann excavated at Mycenae, in a London residence. It was identified in 1900 by W. R. Lethaby. The pattern is a common Mycenaean one (see L. B. Holland in A.J.A., 1917, p. 216 and W. Lamb in B.S.A., xxv, p. 236), but the attribution of the slab to the Treasury of Atreus seems assured by the agreement in thickness of the one bed with A53-54. Three other examples of the ornament, all now at Athens, come from the façade :
(a) small fragment, similar but no bead-border (Perrot and Chipiez, VI, fig. 274);
(b) length with four vertical spirals in the triglyphs (Perrot and Chipiez, VI, fig. 277);
(c) slab almost complete; no spirals but grooves round the triglyphs (Perrot and Chipiez, VI, fig. 276).
- On display (G6)
- Slab complete above and below, broken at both ends.
- Acquisition date
- Greek and Roman
- Registration number