- Museum number
Rim and body sherd of Samian pottery Hera cup; interior: reserved band at top of rim, glazed black (fired red) below; exterior: reserved on upper part of body, glazed streaky black below; inscription on exterior.
- Production date
- 600BC-570BC (circa)
Diameter: 12 centimetres
Height: 8.10 centimetres
Thickness: 0.60 centimetres
Width: 6.80 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- The modern inscription 'HERA' on the interior surface of the sherd indicates the findspot of the sherd.
Schlotzhauer mentions a modern inscription 'Diosk?' on the interior surface but none is found on this sherd. He may be referring to British Museum 1888,0601.404 or 1888,0601.401 which both consist of two joined sherds. For each piece, one of the joining sherds bears the modern inscription 'HERA' and the second bears the modern inscription 'DIOSK'.
The number A 1668 3 is written on a sticker glued to the exterior surface of the sherd.
The dipinto dedication indicates the sherd as belonging to a Hera cup, of which a number were found at Naukratis. Hera cups appear to have been exclusive to Samos and Naukratis and Schlotzhauer has suggested that those found at Naukratis may have first been used at the Heraion in Samos and then brought to Naukratis as an aphidryma in the deliberate transplantation of cultic objects between sanctuaries (Schlotzhauer 2006 313).
Following Furtwängler's typology of Samian Hera cups, the sherd belongs with his Type I-III (Furtwängler 1989 88, fig. 14).
There is a modern drill sample hole for clay analysis on the break of the sherd. The sherd was analysed by the Research Laboratory for Archaeology at Oxford and its fabric was compared with three other similar Hera cups (British Museum 1888,0601.401, 1888,0601.403 and 1888,0601.405) and all four were found to be of similar composition (Jones with J. Boardman in Jones 1986, p.665; p.701, table 8.18, no. 49). The fabric from these other Hera cups was also analysed via NAA by Mommsen (Bonn) and the fabrics were all placed in Group J (Samos).
Schlotzhauer suggests that these cups were produced in an area near the Heraion on Samos specifically for cult purposes (given the dipinto dedications) and, including British Museum 1888,0601.402, these cups may even have formed part of the same batch, given the similarity of the cup shape and fabric.
Boardman, J. with Jones, Richard E., 1986, Chapter 8: Provenance Studies of Greek Pottery of the Historic Period, in Jones, Richard E., 1986, Greek and Cypriot Pottery: a review of scientific studies, Athens, p.627-747.
Furtwängler, A.E. and H.J. Kienast, 1989, Samos III: Der Nordbau im Heraion von Samos, Bonn.
Schlotzhauer, U. (2006) ‘Griechen in der Fremde: Wer weihte in die Filialheiligtümer der Samier und Milesier in Naukratis?’, in A. Naso (ed.), Stranieri e non cittadini nei santuari del Mediterraneo antico, Atti del convegno internazionale, Studi Udinesi sul Mondo Antico 2. Florence: 294-324.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Greek and Roman
- Registration number