- Museum number
Gold amphora stand.
Stand of beaten gold in form of cylinder, tapering slightly downward, with horizontal flanges top and bottom; slight dent in edge of upper flange; more than half lower flange and part of cylinder missing, some restoration at fractured edges.
Upper flange wide, with applied filigree on upper surface in five concentric bands: at outside edge two concentric rings, the outer beaded, the inner plain; then, in succession, a band of loops, another pair of concentric rings, beaded and plain, a band of eight and a half S-coils, and a third pair of concentric rings, plain and beaded. Lower flange very narrow, with plain edge folded over downward.
The upper flange and the cylinder and lower flange were made separately and joined, the join being clearly seen, especially on under-side of upper flange.
- Production date
Diameter: 3.30 centimetres (lower flange)
Diameter: 5.90 centimetres (upper flange)
Height: 2.20 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- BM Glass
Described as an item in Slade's collection, Slade Catal. 1871, 4, fig. 6, following the entry for BM Glass 227, but given no catalogue number. It has now been registered in GR dept as no 1868.5-1.10 although it is recognised that the two pieces have no connection with each other. The Slade catalogue, loc. cit., notes that the BM already possessed two similar items that did belong together, 174 and 174A.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Greek and Roman
- Registration number