- Museum number
Core-formed glass amphoriskos.
Opaque light blue and opaque orange trails, translucent dark blue body, one handle opaque orange, one opaque light blue.
Broad, inward-sloping rim-disc. Short, cylindrical neck, joining nearly horizontal shoulder in sharp, angular bend; ovoid body, ended in small, well made, subconical base-knob, flattened on underside, and with central depression. Two vertical handles, round or oval in section dropped on shoulder, drawn up and folded inward to junction of rim and neck, upper ends attached to middle of neck.
Unmarvered light blue trail round edge of lip. Marvered orange trail dropped on shoulder and wound down, first in four straight revolutions then, on upper body, when a light blue trail mingles with it, in zigzag panel; below this two independent single horizontal trails, upper orange, lower light blue; on base-knob, orange trails.
Formed on a core; rim-disc, handles and base-knob drawn on and tooled; trails drawn on, marvered (except on lip) and combed. Original core-formed lip visible on inner edge of rim-disc, but does not protrude above it.
- Production date
Diameter: 1.20 centimetres (base-knob)
Diameter: 5.20 centimetres (body)
Height: 7.60 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- Attributed to Fikellura grave 128, based on evidence from Biliotti's marking on the object (grave number on label), Kamiros tomb list, British Museum register, departmental Kamiros index card. Not mentioned in Biliotti's Kamiros diary.
Attributions to find-spots are based on (1) Alfred Biliotti’s diary kept during excavations at Kamiros between November 1863 and June 1864, which records the contents of two votive deposits and over 300 graves; (2) entries in the Museum Register, often stipulating the find-spots of individual objects excavated by Biliotti; (3) the Kamiros tomb list, produced around the same time as his entries in the Museum Register. It lists the contents of each grave and votive deposit, along with their corresponding registration numbers; (4) the Kamiros index cards, written by Donald Bailey in the 1960’s. These mainly record the contents of graves from the Fikellura cemetery and are organised according to tomb group. All archives are kept in the Department of Greece and Rome. In addition, Reynold Higgins’ Catalogue of the Terracottas in the Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities (1954) has been checked for attributions to the Fikellura cemetery.
- Not on display
- Intact. Film of milky weathering with iridescence all over surface.
- Acquisition date
- Greek and Roman
- Registration number
- Additional IDs
Miscellaneous number: DBH.0130 (Harden number)