- Museum number
Marble ash chest with epitaph for Lucius Lepidus Epaphra within an incised frame, above a door overhung with garlands.
- Production date
- 50AD-70AD (circa (Sinn 1987: 132))
Height: 30.48 centimetres
Width: 31.75 centimetres
- Curator's comments
SMITH 1904: Sepulchral chest, with cover. At the angles of the front are two columns with spirally twisted flutings and late Corinthian capitals. Between them hangs a festoon of fruit, tied with ribands. Below it stand two swans with spread wings. In the middle is a doorway with two closed doors. Above it is a moulded tablet containing the inscription. On the sides are large palmettes. The cover, which is modern, is in the form of a pediment containing a wreath.
Italian marble. Restored: plinth, and part of eagle and right doorway; part of angle column, also the cover. Formerly in the Church of St. Sebastian at Rome. First copied by Jucundus, before 1489.
Donated to the British Museum by W.A.Mackinnon, Esq., in 1817 and displayed in the Townley Galleries with other sepulchral urns.
- CIL VI 21188;
- A. H. Smith, A catalogue of sculpture in the Department of Greek and Roman antiquities (London 1904), vol. III, 353, nr. 2368.
- F. Sinn, Stadtrömische Marmorurnen. Beiträge zur Erschließung hellenistischer und kaiserzeitlicher Skulptur und Architektur 8 (Verlag Philipp von Zabern, Mainz am Rhein 1987)p.132 no.161
- Jaś Elsner, Janet Huskinson (ed.), Life, Death and Representation: Some New Work on Roman Sarcophagi, De Gruyter, Berlin-New York, 2011, pp. 29-30, 35, 50, fig.1.1
- On display (G70)
- Acquisition date
- Greek and Roman
- Registration number