- Museum number
Marble sepulchral chest of Marcus Clodius Hermes, Annius Felix and Tyrannus with a Latin funerary inscription.
- Production date
Height: 80.01 centimetres
Width: 62.23 centimetres
- Curator's comments
Cook 2013, nr. 276:
‘A sepulchral Cippus, two feet nine inches high. On the front is a tablet with an inscription; above it in the center is a head of Medusa, on each side of which is an Ibis, and a ram’s head, from whence hangs a festoon; Beneath it is represented the rape of Proserpine who is carried off by Pluto in a car, drawn by four horses, guided by a Geni and preceeded by a Serpent. Two spiral columns, with capitals, composed of two pidgeons, placed upon leaves of the Lotus, border the edges. The following inscription is engraved in the tablet.
DIS ∙ MANIBVS ∙
M ∙ CLODIO ∙
(TY 12/3, on a leaf tipped in between 27 and 28 of the hall and headed ‘No 26’, evidently referring to the first item in Jenkins’s list. An edited copy in Townley’s hand is pasted into the back cover of the version in Towneley Hall, where it is marked ‘not placed’).
Known since the seventeenth century and wrongly reported by Muratori to have been in S. Maria Maggiore; acquired by Jenkins from the Villa Negroni (CIL).
Bought from Jenkins and shipped during 1788. On 27 September 1786, Jenkins informed Townley that his available stock included ‘some most interesting pedestals’ (TY 7/445), and on 10 November 1787, he remarked that he had some available at £10 to £12 or £15 (TY 7/460). Townley seems to have made a selection, for on 20 February 1788, Jenkins sent a list of four that together with the relief of the Muses (1805,0703.120) were already packed (TY 7/467). At this period, Jenkins had a catalogue of available items, and these four were not described in detail, but were listed by their numbers in the catalogue and distinguished by their heights: no. 26, 2 feet 9 inches; no. 27, 2 feet 1 ½ inches; no. 41, 3 feet 4 inches; and no. 47, 2 feet 4½ inches. After the original four had been shipped to Leghorn, Townley expressed a wish for another item (1805,0703.167), and Jenkins took advantage of a delay in shipping to have one of the cases opened in order to effect a substitution. The ‘pedestals’, like the relief of the Muses, arrived in London too late to be included in the ‘L’ Catalogue (TY 12/3) as initially compiled, but the first three (1805,0703.180, 1805,0703.182 and one now at Brocklesby Park) appear on three leaves tipped into that catalogue between numbers 27 and 28 of the hall. In a bill from Jenkins enclosed in his letter of 13 December 1788 (TY 7/477), ‘four Pedestals and a Bass relief’ purchased in January are collectively charged at £50. The bill was settled on 27 March 1789 (Wigan Accounts).
Early second century AD (Boschung).
* Townley drawing 2010,5006.1864, attributed to Dolcibene (I. D. Jenkins, cf. TY 7/467, 20 February 1788).
- Synopsis of the Contents of the British Museum (1808), VII.4;
- A. H. Smith, A Catalogue of Sculpture in the Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities, British Museum, Vol. III (London 1904), 346-8, no. 2358, fig. 53;
- W. Altmann, Die römischen Grabaltäre der Kaiserzeit (Berlin, 1905), 160, no. 199a;
- D. Boschung, Antike Grabaltäre aus den Nekropolen Roms. Acta Bernensia X (Bern, 1987), 29, 106, no. 820 (bibl.);
- CIL VI, 15740.
Published in Jenkins' and Visconti's Catalogo di Monumenti Scritti del Museo del Signor Tommaso Jenkins, Rome 1787 (which was dedicated to Charles Townley), nr. 26.
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Greek and Roman
- Registration number