- Museum number
Marble sepulchral chest of Titus Titulenus Isauricus, with a relief of a man reclining on a bed, with torches set at each end
- Production date
- 50-100 (circa)
Height: 34.29 centimetres
Width: 27.94 centimetres
- Curator's comments
- Cook 2011, nr. 234:
'A cinerary urn with a figure of a man half draped laid upon a couch, on each side of which is a lighted torch; it was formerly in the Mattei villa, and is engraved in Boissart Lib. [blank] Tab. [blank] in a tablet below the couch is the following inscription.
(TY 12/3, dining room 13. The correct reading is TITVLENI).
Formerly in the Mattei collection.
This is the urn that Jenkins thought he had sold to Townley in 1773, until it was reclaimed by Mattei. On 22 November 1778, Jenkins wrote that Albacini had acquired some items from the Mattei collection, including this urn, which was on offer at 15 Sequins (TY 7/383). This amount was charged to Townley at 30.75 Scudi in a bill from Jenkins for 1778-9 (TY 8/74/27, transcribed by Townley in TY 8/75/10 and ‘Union Catalogue’, fo. 62v), and rendered by Townley as £7 in TY 10/5 and TY 12/1. Albacini’s receipt (TY 8/108/6) was enclosed by Jenkins in a letter dated 6 January 1779 (TY 7/384).
Urna haec subrepta fuerat mense Martio anni MDCCLXV sed dein redempta (A. Venuti, Vetera Monumenta Matthaeiorum (Rome, 1779)); Flavian (Sinn).
* Townley drawings 2010,5006.238 and 2010,5006.1877.37, the latter signed ‘GK del 1795’ (G. Kirtland).
- A. Venuti, Vetera Monumenta Matthaeiorum (Rome, 1779) III, pl. 60.1;
- Synopsis of the Contents of the British Museum (1808), V.8;
- Ancient Marbles of the British Museum, V, pl. 2, fig. 4;
- A. H. Smith, A Catalogue of Sculpture in the Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities, British Museum, Vol. III (London 1904), 357, no. 2377;
- W. Altmann, Die römischen Grabaltäre der Kaiserzeit (Berlin, 1905), 191, no. 256;
- N. Rushforth, JRS 5 (1915), 156, fig. 39;
- O. Neverov, ‘The Lyde Brown Collection’, Proceedings of the State Hermitage by Order of Lenin 24 (1984), pl. 1.1;
- F. Sinn, Stadrömische Marmorurnen (Mainz am Rhein, 1987), 162, no. 282, pl. 50 e;
- CIL VI, 27537
- Not on display
- Acquisition date
- Greek and Roman
- Registration number